Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

My Protector



My Protector 


I remember the walls  I built
To protect me from harm,
Thinking it was a fortress,
Thinking I was safe.

Along a dusty road,
In a dusty little town
on a night like any other
they fell to the ground.

They fell in such a way
It gave not a sound
Not a warning to behold
Little did I know they were gone.

Engaged in a conversation
That felt so normal,
That felt to right.
A conversation with a secret.

You were so nice,
You were so thoughtfull
You took one look
And you saw what I could not.

You reached for me
And I reached for your hand
Little did I know. . .
My heart landed there.

Little did I realize
That along that dusty road
I gave you a conversation.
Yet I gave you so much more.

At first I feared
Once I found my walls
My sanctuary gone
Fallen to the ground.

Yet as you talked
As you came
As I opened up to you
And you to me

My fear, my worries
Fled in a moments grace.
You told me a sentence
that filled me within 

That whispered
The truth,
And in a second
Wiped away my fear.

Standing by your side
I smile and I laugh.
Watching you work
I work along side you.

Knowing who you are
Knowing what you believe
I have come to know
I have come to Love you.

In the space of 98 days
You stole into my life
You broke my walls down
And I handed you my heart.

218 days along this journey
And it has never felt so right
Walking beside my cowboy
My protector, I smile inside and out.

© June 2, 2013 (Emma Joy Huls)

No comments:

Post a Comment